Socializing is a great way to learn new stuff, especially when you gather with your team, drink some beers and start creating concepts.
A concept brainstormed by the design team. Brought to life and narrated by our dear colleague, Andrei Balanica.
This happened when the Grapefruit’s design team gathered to have a good time after work and started talking about Christmas traditions in Romania. It all started with a joke about having a app like WAZE but for carol singers, which is a Christmas tradition activity in Romania where it begins on Christmas Eve. Children go out carol singing from house to house, performing to the adults in their houses. The children get sweets, fruit, traditional cakes and sometimes money.
We started coming with ideas regarding the usability and functions. What can you do with this app? Can we improve the experience? Can we bring romanian traditional activities to the digital era? We made a research and covered all the functions and needs.
What do I need from an app for this type of Romanian tradition?
- Map – You need a map to know where you are and find houses so you can go singing.
- Alert – A very important feature is the alert function, where you can alert nearby carol singers that the road is dangerous, beware of the cookie thiefs, mark the best route, notify that you are alone and you need a band, and so on.
- Search – Search for routes, search for friends, band, search for the nearest store where you can buy a bag.
- Location suggestions – Receive suggestion from your friends, based on your location. There you can set the route and find the best house where you can carol singing.
- Carol – Here you can find a carol or simply select a suggestion or the most popular carols songs.
- Lyrics & Sounds – Have all the lyrics in one place and use a wide range of sounds to go along — from bells to whips
First we started exploring the romanian traditional masks and see if we can do some illustrations with them. After we did some sketching we came up with an icon so we can use it afterwards for the app visual style.
We created a fast logo for the app starting from the traditional romanian archaic typography.
Based on our research and ideas, we created a user flow for the main functions, like setting the route, alerts or singing the carol.
We created some low fidelity wireframes for the main screens to see if we can fit all the information.
After you log-in or sign-up you jump directly into the map. Here you can search for houses, for the best routes or even for a friend. Based of your location you can see some house suggestions, where to go or not, if there are some rivals there, you will know to avoid them stealing your bag with goodies. If you really have problems, just simply hit the horn button and call your mother.
After you hit the search input, you can type everything you want to search, set filters like the max distance you want to walk, what type of goodies you want to receive or even if they allow mobile payment — let’s be serious, 2018 is near.
If you arrived at you desired location just press the bell icon and start searching for a carol or just simply select one of the recommendations.
The app will give you the lyrics, sound effects (like bells, whips or animal sounds) and the time remaining until the carol ends.
We won’t stop here, we have way more features in mind like mobile payment, chatroom, live streaming and even rewards/money management after each house.
Until then, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May 2018 be one of the best digital years of your life.
Ia mai manati, WĂIZ! La anul si la multi ani!
If you like our work and have an interesting digital project send us a message and let’s get in touch.